Phase two of my R & D efforts to produce the world’s healthiest chocolate treat saw the addition of beetroot, almond flour and licorice to reduce the sugar content. The result is not so much a muffin as a hot chocolate mousse, but so delicious it has to be bad for you, yet so healthy it’s criminal.
Hot Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Blitz in food processor:
- 1 large or 2 small cooked beetroot
- 1 large or 2 small avocado
- 1 cup cacao
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp licorice extract and 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour sieved together with 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (you may be happy with less, or may need more – you be the judge, cookery is all about frequent tasting 😉
- 1 cup milk (or milk substitute) add more till a slightly runny batter is produced
By hand mix in:
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
Makes enough to fill 12 large muffin cases. Cook at 170c for about half an hour (the time will vary a lot depending on the exact size of the veges etc… so again judgement is needed.
Result hard shelled soft and gooey chocolate mousses to eat with a spoon, decadent and delightful.
When you discover red in the toilet bowl, do NOT panic, you do NOT have ebola, beetroot does this if you eat enough, and you will not stop at just one or two of these treats.
If you want to make these even more decadently delicious, and can stand them being a tiny touch less outrageously healthy sprinkle with icing sugar.